The Glad Tomorrow: Katie Noonan & The Australian String Quartet
For the first time ever Australian powerhouse and 5 x ARIA Award Winner Katie Noonan will be performing with The Australian String Quartet. [concert program details below]
Setting the words of the uniquely Australian poetry of Queenslander Oodgeroo Noonuccal to music, Katie Noonan has commissioned ten stellar Australian contemporary composers to create a song cycle based on Oodgeroo’s poetry, to be performed with the brilliant Australian String Quartet (ASQ).
Katie and the ASQ will be performing pieces written for them by Carl Vine, Elena Kats Chernin, Richard Tognetti, Iain Grandage, David Hirschfelder as well as Queensland composers Thomas Green, Robert Davidson, Connor D’Netto, William Barton and Katie herself.
The Glad Tomorrow project brings together 4 distinct worlds – Contemporary Australian and Queensland Composers, the searing poetry of Queenslander Oodgeroo Noonuccal, ASQ and Katie Noonan’s unique voice and innate musicality.
For the Oodgeroo Noonuccal project – Katie Noonan and ASQ will be performing together for the first time in Australia. Such a unique combination of creative powerhouses will result in some spectacular and spine tingling performances.
‘As a fiercely proud Queenslander and in a project that is celebrating an extraordinary Queensland woman, I am immensely proud to share in this World Premiere with these four wonderful and world class musicians.’ Katie Noonan
THE GLAD TOMORROW CONCERT PROGRAM
1. The Curlew Cried ( ©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Thomas Green)
2. Then and Now (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Carl Vine)
3. Son Of Mine (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Richard Tognetti)
4. Song (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Iain Grandage)
5. Balance (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Robert Davidson)
6. String Quartet No 2 in E minor (©Connor D’Netto)
1. Peter Sculthorpe String Quartet No 11 “Jabiru Dreaming” (© Peter Sculthorpe)
2. Tree Grave (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Elena Kats-Chernin)
3. United We Win (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/William Barton)
4. Dawn Wail for the Dead (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Connor D’Netto)
5. No More Boomerang (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/David Hirschfelder)
6. A Song of Hope (©Oodgeroo Noonuccal/Katie Noonan)
*Encore – Maranoa Lullaby (©Peter Sculthorpe)
Date & Time:
Friday 8 November, 7:30pm
Approximately 2 hours (including interval)
Group 4+ $55.00ea
Adult Subscriber $55.00
Concession Subscriber $50.00
*Transaction fees apply
Wagga Wagga Civic Theatre
Burns Way (off Tarcutta St)
Wagga Wagga NSW 2650